Marijuana dispensary robbed — in second hit by thieves – The London Free Press
A downtown London marijuana dispensary has been the target of thieves for the second time in three months.
Witnesses reported seeing multiple armed suspects enter the London Relief Centre at 691 Richmond St., where employees and customers were inside, last Friday around 10 p.m., said police, who were alerted to the incident 20 minutes later.
Officers responded to the scene to find the store empty, police said.
Investigators aren’t revealing how many suspects were involved and what weapons were used or giving an inventory of the products stolen, citing the ongoing investigation.
Nobody was injured in the robbery.
A white, four-door newer-model sedan, possibly a Hyundai Elantra, was seen leaving the scene after the robbery, said police. Investigators are looking to speak to anyone with information about the vehicle or the suspects.
The robbery follows an overnight break-in at the London Relief Centre – one of four illegal dispensaries still operating in the city – on April 29. A suspect dropped $25,000 worth of cannabis products as they fled the scene, police said at the time.
Following the break-in, police obtained a warrant to search the Richmond Row pot shop and seized $90,000 of cannabis products, including the dropped stash, and $5,000 cash.
The break-in suspect was never arrested, but investigators obtained an arrest warrant for a Toronto man, 22, not wanted for the break-in but connected to the dispensary. The man, who is wanted on three counts of drug possession for the purpose of trafficking and one count of breaching recognizance, remains on the lam, a police spokesperson said Thursday.
The Relief Centre was closed for the weekend following the latest theft but has since reopened.
In Ontario, the Cannabis Intelligence Coordination Centre, a provincial task force made up of officers from local police forces, is being created to stamp out illegal dispensaries and black market marijuana after the drug is legalized for recreational use on Oct. 17. However, the Free Press learned last week that hiring for the task force has been put on hold as the new Progressive Conservative government pivots to a private retail sales model.